What to look for in the health food store or some supermarkets
Browsing recently in my friend’s amazing store Stella’s Pantry*, I came across a new type of grain: buckwheat. I’m going to rave for a short moment on this grain, as contrary to its name, it is actually wheat (and gluten) free.
I’d forever lived on white rice, and then switched to brown rice in a bid to be healthier. But now buckwheat has come along and trumped them both in terms of protein, good fats and fibre.
100 grams of brown rice will give you…
Protein – 8.0g
Total fat – 2.8g (less than 1.0g saturated)
Carbohydrate – 71g
Sugars – less than 1.0g
Dietary fibre – 3.3g
Sodium – less than 5mg
With 100grams buckwheat you’re getting…
Protein – 12.6
Total fat – 3.1 (saturated 0.7)
Carbohydrate – 70.6g
Sugars – 2.6g
Dietary fibre – 10g
Sodium – 11mg
Another bonus, it is slightly quicker to cook than brown rice.
- Pop ½ cup into a saucepan with 1 ¼ cups water and boil.
- Once water is boiling pop on the lid and stir now and again for 12-15 minutes.
- Then you’re done! It can be roasted in the oven prior to cooking to create an earthier, nutty taste and aroma….but I don’t bother with this step.
Here’s a quick and delicious meal idea for one that will give you a good source of wholesome carbohydrates needed by your body to create energy.
Buckwheat can add essential protein to your diet
- ¼ cup buckwheat
- Tin of tuna in olive oil
- ½ avocado
- Small handful unsalted cashews
- Approx 1 cup shredded kale (you can use spinach also)
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste if desired
- Cook buckwheat as advised above
- Throw all pesto ingredients into a food processor or blender and whiz till combined and a chunky paste forms.
- Once buckwheat is cooked, add can of tuna, do not drain the oil (that’s the best part!)
- Add pesto and mix through
* Stella’s Pantry is well worth a visit if you are in the West Gippsland region or up for a day trip. Located at Shop 16, Warragul Plaza, Bella and Stacey are the most lovely and passionate chicks one will meet, and what’s even better is they can offer great advice on what your next cook up should be. Here you will find a range of gourmet products, delicious cheese and meats. Find them on Facebook www.facebook.com/stellaspantry