We were pretty keen to show off our new found camp oven cooking skills for Drew’s parents when they came all the way from Gippsland to travel the Cape York Peninsula with us.
During the four weeks we explored the tip of Australia together, this baked bacon and eggs recipe became the standout dish (not including Drew’s Dad’s damper of course).
Cooking breakfast was a family affair at our campsite in Cape Melville on the Cape York Peninsula.
We’ve since tried this recipe in a saucepan on the gas stove in the caravan, and I’m happy to say that even without a camp oven, it’s a knockout recipe. Well worth a try when you next have breakfast guests.
Prep: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 300 grams bacon
- 400 gram tin diced tomatoes
- 400 gram tin four bean mix
- 4-6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Trim bacon as required. I like to leave the rind and fat to increase the flavour. Cut into bite sized strips.
- Add bacon and herbs in a large saucepan and fry on medium heat until bacon releases its juices and herbs become fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes and stir.
- Add four bean mix.
- Stir and heat through for two minutes.
- Crack eggs on top of the tomato and bean mix.
- Place the lid on the pot and continue to cook on low heat for approximately five minutes.
- Once eggs are cooked to your liking, it’s time to tuck in!
Baked bacon and eggs from the camp oven taste just as delicious in the kitchen.
Scoop on top of toast smothered with avocado or simply eat straight out of a bowl. The addition of fibrous beans makes this a filling start to the day.
This baked bacon and eggs recipe is gluten free, wheat free,refined sugar free and dairy free.
What are you waiting for? Get cooking!
Want more recipes?
Check out my other gluten and wheat free treats: